Tuesday, February 12, 2008

it's better in the dark

"I'm dying to take you to O'Noir. I've been thinking about it since you first mentioned it to me."

He was walking me back to my car. When I heard his words, I turned suddenly to look at him. When I saw the grin on his face I smiled and shook my head a little. He's incorrigible.

O'Noir is a restaurant in Montreal that offers dining in complete darkness. There are similar restaurants in Europe, Los Angeles, Australia, and a few other places that don't spring to mind at the moment. When I heard about the concept, I wanted desperately to try it with someone who would appreciate the experience and benefit from it as much as I would. My dining partner will have to be focused on sensuality and have a sense of adventure.

Imagine being led through a dark room - no source of light available. Even glowing watches and cell phones must be left in a locker by the entrance before entering the dining area. Imagine feeling your partner's hand on the small of your back as you're guided by your waiter to your table. Imagine hearing voices of fellow diners, but not being able to see any of them. Imagine being blind for a few hours and having all your other senses heightened.

When you unexpectedly feel your partner's hand on your knee, you'll probably feel startled but then feel comfort and warmth from that familiar touch. When he is suddenly whispering in your ear, you won't move for fear that you'll move in the wrong direction and cease to feel his warm breath on your neck.

There are so many others around you, but none can see you. They can hear you, but can they hear the change in your breathing? Will they hear your tiny whimper when he instructs you to find his cock and stroke it through his trousers? Will they know that he has decided to feed you with his fingers? Will they hear you licking and sucking hungrily, anticipating what will come later in the evening? Will you feel intimidated by the sounds around you and try to keep quiet or will the anonymity of the darkness turn you into an auditory exhibitionist?

Yes, I must experience O'Noir.

11 comments:

Jonas said...

My, what a concept. O'noir can save a small fortune on electricity costs. On the other hand, being the visual creature that I am, I'd prefer at least a bit of candlelight. Beauty unseen is beauty lost, no?

anna said...

Jonas - But don't you agree that beauty can also be felt without being seen? Music, for example, can be beautiful. Similarly, I suspect that a dining experience in the dark can also be beautiful. Perhaps a visit to one of these restaurants is in order for you too. ;)

Jonas said...

Of course, you're right, Anna.

By the by, I was gonna joke that the restaurant could hire blind wait staff. Turns out they did.

I'm just glad they don't serve soup...

anna said...

I'm glad you took the time to check out their website. Yes, they hire blind wait staff and they also donate a percentage of their revenue to charities that help the blind - more reasons to support them.

To be perfectly honest, though, the reason I wish to dine there has nothing to do with any moral responsibility... my reasons are all selfish and much less honourable.

non compos mentis said...

OMG!!! i had never heard of somethink=g like this before... but it must be fun....what inda food do they serve there???

anna said...

Hi Chikku - Thanks for reading and commenting. You can find out more about the restaurant by going on their website. www.onoir.com I know they don't serve soup. :)

breakerslion said...

Interesting concept. I'd avoid getting too frisky unless you don't mind an audience. I suspect the waiters have NVGs

breakerslion said...

Don't you have illuminated exit sign regulations? How do they get around that?

anna said...

Breakerslion - I normally do mind an audience, but I wonder if I'll mind when that audience can't see me and I can't see them. I'll just have to do my best to be silent in my frisky behaviour.

The wait staff is legally blind. NVGs would be of no use to them.

Your point about the exit signs is one I hadn't considered. I don't know how they get around that. I'll have to let you know after I've had my dining experience in the dark. Stay tuned! :)

anna said...

Breakerslion - You had my curiosity going, so I read a few reviews about O'Noir and found this:

"She (waitress) led me past the mysterious velvet curtain, past another identical curtain and into, as far as I could tell, the main dining area. All that was distinguishable were the two red exit signs at the extremities of the room. Everything else was pitch black and everything would stay pitch black. I could not see my own hand in front of my face."

There you go. So there are exit signs, but they do not illuminate the room in any manner.

non compos mentis said...

i checked it out in the net.... seems interesting.... some place like this in Asia has waiters wearing some infra red glasses..dey r not blind..... would be a hell of an experience....