Sunday, December 2, 2007

my kind of town

J and I decided to get away for a few days when our Thanksgiving rolled around (early October). There were several places we were considering - San Diego, Las Vegas, San Francisco, New York, Boston, etc - but we decided to limit ourselves to a place where I could use my accumulated air miles points to pay for both our flights. We also wanted a place we hadn't been before. I suggested Chicago - the windy city!

Chicago was fantastic! It really IS my kind of town. If someone told me I absolutely had to move to the United States, Chicago would be one of my top picks. There is so much to do there and so much to see and the architecture is spectacular! Chicago, to me anyway, is a smaller, less crowded, less polluted, less noisy New York.

We had unseasonally warm weather and we spent most of our time outdoors. We were there to witness the marathon (marathons always inspire me, so this was a big treat), we walked the downtown area, we walked the Riverwalk - which left me breathless as I turned to view interesting architecture from every angle, we visited and had dim sum in Chinatown with a wonderful blogging friend and his adorable son, we saw Wrigley Field (even though it was closed, I still felt a special energy just by standing in front of the big red sign or by looking through the locked gates and onto the field), we went on an architectural walking tour, we went to a couple of museums, parks, etc, etc, etc. We even went to the beach! We walked and took the bus and train EVERYWHERE! It was so much fun and we returned home exhausted. This was definitely not a relaxing little holiday, but it was definitely fulfilling.

I invite you to view some of the photos from this trip on my flickr badge.

7 comments:

Fiona said...

I'm planning a trip in February - I love your pics, Anna, very inspirational !!!

anna said...

I think you'll love it, Fiona! I know I did... even more than I thought I would. I can't wait to read your review of the windy city.

WithinWithout said...

Those are some great pix...and Chicago is a spectacular place, especially if you just walk along the lake! It goes on and on...

Winnipeg is considered to be Canada's Chicago, the Windy City, lots of breeze and water...

When I was there (I think it was 1991) I saw Oprah and I saw, in the elevator, the goofy guy with the big head who hosts Wheel of Fortune.

I wish it had been Vana White instead...

Romeo Morningwood said...

Everyone that I know who hasd been there just raves about it..and you have to see it in the Summer.
The architecture is amazing and did you go stare at the big shiny thingamabob..yes of course you did.

Even the Food is great there..what the hell is WW trying to say about Whateverpeg...we were in a race with chicago at the turn of the century..but chicago whooped our ass and the panama canal made us redundant.

Sounds like a great getaway...there is a ton of stuff to do eh? Hmmm.

anna said...

WW - Sounds like I'll have to make my way to Winnipeg, then. :)

I would LOVE to see Oprah! Especially her annual favourite things show where she gives the audience tons of gifts! Maybe next time.


HE - We were there in October, but they were having summer weather. Is that good enough? :) The big shiny thingamabob... do you mean the bean? I have a picture of it in my flickr thingy. Is that what you're talking about?

I've never been to Whateverpeg, but with you and WW in there I'd say it's definitely worth a visit.

WithinWithout said...

Hey! Just catching up to this now!

I'd say HE is the only thing that's redundant around here.

He's completely dismissing the comparison that, although fading, still exists between Chicago and Wpg.

As far as a visit, well, you have a place to stay (I toned that down some from its original words)

:-)

Anonymous said...

I was in Chicago back in the summer. It was beatiful!