Thursday, March 27, 2008

third time's a charm

We were sitting in the examination room, where everything looked too familiar, waiting for the doctor to arrive and get this over with. We were both holding our breath and letting out nervous sighs as we tried to calm ourselves. We had been in this exact same situation twice before and the results had been heartbreaking.


So I sat, naked from the waist down with only a large paper towel to cover me, on the examination table with the stirrups beside my knees and my feet dangling. I kept looking at the monitor beside me and the one directly opposite me in the top corner of the room - the one I would watch while I lay back. Finally, the doctor arrived. She wasn't our doctor because our doctor was busy in the operating room. I wondered if she was performing an IUI or the In-Vitro procedure and giving some other couple hope. I had never met the doctor who walked in. She was very pleasant and very calming. I liked that. I liked her.


I knew the drill. I layed back on the table, put my feet in the stirrups, and spread my knees apart. She placed the lubricant on a condom, slid the condom over the "wand" and pushed it inside me. She asked if I was experiencing any pain and I told her it was fine. My eyes were glued to the monitor in the corner.


Within seconds she said, "Oh, there are two!" J and I both cried. Two meant twins. J immediately asked if they were ok. She told us she was checking that at the moment. We both held our breath. She measured the first one and said, "This is perfect - measuring eight weeeks! It's exactly what we want to see." Then she found the heartbeat and made us hear it. We cried more when we heard that fast and strong heartbeat. She asked, "Can you see the heart beating?" We both eagerly asked "Where?!" All we saw was a white blob inside of a black blob inside of a big cloud of white. She pointed it out and it was so clear - almost like a little white flashing light. That was my baby's heart beating. My eight week old baby was doing wonderfully and thriving. We cried even more.


After I felt that relief, I immediately began to worry about the second one. The doctor said she was looking for the second one, which is often hidden behind the first one. I was concerned that the second one might be much smaller or that we wouldn't be able to hear that heartbeat. My concerns were quickly put to rest as the doctor smiled and said, "This is beautiful! This one measures eight weeks as well. They're the same size and growing symmetrically. That is very very good!" And then we heard the other one's heartbeat - just as fast and just as strong. We cried some more.


And just like that, we went from being nervous wrecks about the possibility of our third miscarriage within a year to the wonderful realization that we will be having TWINS! We couldn't be more thrilled!


I'm still worried, of course. We still have about 32 weeks to go and, although the babies are doing wonderfully right now, we have no guarantee that all will continue to go well. But right now I am on top of the world because I heard those precious heartbeats!


19 comments:

Fiona said...

OMG Anna, what awesome, truly awesome news!!!!!!

anna said...

I know! I can't begin to express how absolutely THRILLED we are about this.

Buffalo said...

I am truly happy for you, Anna. I will keep good thoughts coming your way.

Karen said...

Hi Anna
When you left your first comment on my blog this link wasn't here, just the invitation only message. I was so disappointed that I couldn't get in touch with you. Now here you are and with the most AMAZING news. This is further than you got the last two times so that is really encouraging and hopeful.

I am SO very happy for you and J. You've had so much sadness in the past year, you deserve this miracle. I was very sorry to read about your father. Something tells me that wherever he is, he will be the happiest one of all at this news.

Wonderful to see you back.

anna said...

Buffalo - Thank you! I'll take whatever help I can get.

Gypsy - I am SO happy you came by. If you weren't going to leave a comment by this weekend, I was going to email you with the news. I knew you'd be excited for us - especially since you have your own two precious miracles. Just be forwarned that I may bombard you with a thousand questions about twins. :)

Mia said...

OMG I have tears in my eyes reading this, how cool is that? If anyone deserves this, its you two. Yay for you. Twice the joy, twice the clothes, twice the diapers...winks.

((Big hugs)) to both of you.

anna said...

miranda - One of my girlfriends warned me about diapers yesterday. She said her ONE child went through 15 to 20 diapers per day when she was a newborn. So I can expect to go through 30 to 40 diapers a day!!! Where the heck will I put them all?? The trash only gets picked up once a week!

And yeah, we've been thinking about double everything. Two cribs, two car seats, two strollers, two high chairs, two of EVERYTHING... and especially, twice the love! I'm so excited - I can't stop smiling!!

Jonas said...

One can't help but smile that you've been blessed by good fortune after having suffered so. I'm thrilled for you. I really am!

anna said...

Jonas - Thank you. I'm thrilled for me too! :)

WithinWithout said...

What can I say but (pardon the language) holy shit.

Thank you for such a beautiful story. It seems to me you write exactly how you think and feel...

And that's a beautiful thing.

Who knows, maybe the twins are sort of nature's way of paying you back for what's happened in the past...

You are such a caring, intensely-feeling, sensitive woman, a beautiful creature who has loads of love and beauty to share, and we can only hope and assume these two will be the beneficiaries of that.

You know how much I want to hug you. Super congratulations to you and John. Now treat yourself like the precious thing you are.

anna said...

WW - You know, J said something very similar about nature allowing us to make up for lost time with these twins.

Thank you for your beautiful and touching words.

Karen said...

Bombard me with as many questions as you like Anna. Just one little piece of advice before you actually bring those precious bundles home.....sleep as much as you can whenever and wherever you can NOW while you still can.....xxx

Romeo Morningwood said...

WOW!
This is fantastic. I will be sending you ALL of my happy thoughts exclusively for the next 32 weeks. Everybody else gets Jack until you say so.

I am so happy to hear this.
XX OO

anna said...

Gypsy - We've been getting that advice a lot!

HE - Thank you so much! I feel so privileged to have this exclusivity. And I'll take all the help I can get.

D G said...

Congrats.

Been disconnected for quite some time. Afraid I'm not around all the time. Job has me running ragged!

you take care!
dg

Jocelyn said...

Anna, if I wasn't jumping around doing the happy dance with joy for you and J, I'd be telling you how naughty you are. You started this blog and didn't tell me...are you trying to give me a hint? Too bad. I found you anyway. LOL!

I am so thrilled for you. Mazel Tov as we say down the road. :)

Oh. Diaper services are wonderful things. They will deliver and pick up as many or few diapers as you require. At least it was that way in the Dark Ages when I had my children.

Karen said...

Just checking in and hoping that all is well. Keep us posted won't you and take care.

WithinWithout said...

Yeah, Anna, do hope all's well with the twins...and that you can feel them kickin'.

Big hugs.

anna said...

DG - You've been missed. I wish you would be around more often.

Jocelyn - I wasn't hiding, you silly woman. You just had to know to look. :)

We've been discussing diapers and debating whether we want to go with cloth or disposable. I'm still on the fence and need to do more research, but I'm so sleepy all the time!

Glad you found me. :)

Gypsy - I know I should update more, but I just haven't had the energy lately. The nausea and fatigue seem to be going away now, though, so maybe I'll get to post more regularly. Thanks for checking on me. :)

WW - Big hugs to you too. The twins are doing great!